Thursday 9 February 2012

Goals

I was cleaning up after dinner the other night and my kids were sitting at the kitchen table.  They have taken quite an interest in our lifestyle changes.  Of course they've noticed we eat less take out and we haven't gone through the McDonald's drive-thru in over a month!  They are quite supportive of the changes that are going on (my daughter being 10 and my son of 8).  They want me to be healthy but of course, they are naturally full of questions.

This night in particular they asked me "Daddy, how long are you going to be on your diet for?"   I responded that this wasn't a diet and that it was a lifestyle change.  I am changing the way I'm eating in such a way that I will be able to continue to happily eat this way for the rest of my life.  In a sense, I told them that my diet isn't going to end and that I will be on it forever.

They looked a little puzzled by this and continued in a second attempt to find out the answer to what was really on their mind.  "Daddy, how long until you are the size you want to be?"  I chuckled to myself - Did my kids just ask me how long till I won't be fat?  They are so cute and so careful not to hurt my feelings.  I responded to them, well it's probably going to take me about 2 years to get to where I want to be.

To this I got a couple of mouth gaping looks, a jaw drop and some, oh my goshes.  I paused for a moment, looked at my lovely wife who was smiling at me from yonder table, thought hard about what I had just said and followed up by saying.. "And you know what?  I'm not even unhappy about that..."

1 comment: